Wednesday 10 February 2010

Bow by Bow

I decided recently to try and finish one of my half completed projects, in this instance, a blue dress made of a scrap of navy satin-backed crepe, which is matte with satin dots on one side and the opposite on the reverse. I chose the matte side as the exterior. The problem I had with this dress was that I had hardly any fabric, so I was unsure how best to finish the neckline. Then I found an old bow tie and thought 'I could do that'. As it turns out, making a bow is very simple. A bow is just three rectangles. I thought I'd make a little 'how to' guide whilst making it myself. And here are the results.



Step 1 Step 2 Step 3





Step 1 - Cut out 3 paper rectangles, 2 of a similar size, and one much smaller, use as a pattern

Step 2 - Pin each set of two rectangles with wrong sides of fabric together

Step 3 - Machine stitch (can be done by hand) 3 sides of the rectangles together, leave one of the smaller ends open. Once stitched, turn rectangles inside out, you will be left with 2 raw edges



Step 4 Step 5 Step 6





Step 4- Tuck raw edges inside rectangle and stitch together as neatly as possible (I always have trouble here!) Follow same for all 3 rectangles

Step 5 - Lay the two larger rectangles together so they are slightly overlapping, place smaller rectangle underneath and fold over

Step 6 - hand stitch smaller rectangle together so it will not slip off. And voila! One bow ready for use


Here is the finished dress, I'm quite pleased with it compared to some of my other homemade dresses, I think I may actually wear this one. I used he opposite side of the fabric for the bow to create a nice contrast between dress and bow.



No comments:

Post a Comment