Sunday 10 April 2011

Big skies













 






Shirt - Jumble sale
Cardigan - Jumble sale
Necklace - vintage, gift
Jeans - Uni qlo
Shoes - Charity shop
Listening to - California Analog Dream ~ VondelPark ~

There is something about being under such big skies that I find hugely relaxing. That plus sunshine, a fortuitously placed ice-cream van and hazy sunshine. These photos are from Friday's visit to Devil's Dyke. There are geographical explanations for the existence of the huge empty valley, but it takes it's name from myths such as the below;

Local folklore explains the valley as the work of the devil. The legend holds that the devil was digging a trench to allow the sea to flood the many churches in the Weald of Sussex. The digging disturbed an old woman who lit a candle, or angered a rooster causing it to crow, making the devil believe the morning was fast approaching. The devil then fled, leaving his trench unfinished.Source.


Either way it is quite a breathtaking place. We meant to go for a long walk around the downs but we didn't quite get around to it. As well as Devil's Dyke we spent the morning in Brighton, eating bagels on the  beach and visiting my old favourite shop, Snooper's paradise. For possibly the first time ever I left empty handed, since I am attempting to be good and only make well considered purchases, and save money for holidays. I know everyone is commenting on the weather, but it truly feels like Summer, (not even spring) has arrived. I hope it lasts! This outfit was mostly thrifted last week and seemed more interesting in my head than in reality. Still I'm happy with my finds. I hope everyone had a great weekend in the sunshine.

6 comments:

  1. Sea of blue and green—England looks absolutely cheery right now. I really REALLY hope that the weather holds up until May! I am excited to hear good things about Snooper's Paradise, it's on my to-do list as well as a tea shop called the Mock Turtle. :P

    Arianne from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place, the sky is just amazing!!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a truly amazing valley!!

    Wow, I am blown away by your pretty photos. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a truly beautiful place. It reminds me of the scenery of New Zealand. Your outfit is lovely too, and I envy your Summery adventures when it's so bleak here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtaking photos! Its always interesting to hear about local folklore (although this definitely doesn't look like the valley of the devil). Lovely! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pictures are so beautiful... the English countryside truly looks its best in Spring/premature summer! It reminds me a little of Yorshire, where I was last week, though I'm sure it's quite different.

    Meanwhile, eating bagels on the beach sounds so amazing. Really jealous. Also, I love your top. Checkers are always a favourite, and loose fitting sleeveless blouses are exactly what I want to be wearing come the real summer. : )

    ReplyDelete