Wednesday 6 October 2010

Opening Zion










L-R: Anna Widtsoe, Mildred Gerrard, Nell Creer, Melba Dunyon, Dora Montague and Catherine Levering

These lovely vintage  images are all taken from the book 'Opening Zion' by John and Melissa Clark that I bought while I was in America. The book is described as 'part fashion spread, part adventure guide' so you can see how it would appeal to me. The book is just crammed with these wonderful photos of girls in their hiking gear exploring the Zion National Park as it's first official tourists in 1920. I thought these photos would make for great fall inspiration, the sailor collars, knitted jumpers, laced up boots... I wouldn't mind having them all. Hopefully I will get around to doing a more in depth post about the book in the near future.

11 comments:

  1. these photos are fantastic and so inspirational! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely inspiring shots... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I love how impractical velvet trousers would be for hiking - they do look amazing though. A super literary find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are great! I'm loving those lace up boots, and the sailor collars, maybe vogue should do a hiking fashion story sometime soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is amazing! super inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very beautiful pictures...they irradiate energy!!! you have a nice blgo with great outfits!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is an absolute treasure. it totally speaks to my soul! i can't get over their amazing boots! definitely wishing i could be transplanted into that era right now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live across the street from the University of Utah and let me tell you the girls don't dress nearly as fashionable these days! Those boots are just too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete