Wednesday 7 July 2010

The Rose garden
















Necklace - Gift from when I was about ten
T-shirt - Topshop (very old)
Skirt - Belonged to my grandmother
Bag - Belonged to my other grandmother
Sandals - New Look (again very old)

On Sunday I visited a National Trust Property called Nymans, a  garden and partly ruined house.  Nymans is one of my favourite National Trust places  so far, the gardens were full of bright flowers and plants everywhere you looked. The first image is taken in 'The Temple' and looks down over the grounds. This sort of  landscape always reminds me a little of Jane Austen, I'm not sure why. As well as the garden you can visit a few rooms of the old family house. The house was partly destroyed by fire in 1947 , yet later partially rebuilt and lived in by the last of the family to live there, Anne Messel. The gardens have a pinetum which has samples of many different types of trees, a walled garden - that made me think of the secret garden, and a rose garden. The rose garden was so beautiful, I'm not sure I've ever seen so many different roses in one place. This blog seems to be turning into 'what I wore to visit a national trust garden,' I hope nobody minds.

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place!! It really is very Jane Austen!! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are just so beautiful!! And what a perfect skirt to wear in such a lovely flowery garden.
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what beautiful grounds!! i wish there were partially-ruined estates like that around here to explore (old falling-down barns don't really count). your skirt is perfectly appropriate for garden wanderings.

    thanks for saying hi (on my blog)! my blog title is sort of an indirect reference to the film, partially because i am fascinated by the existential mysteries of life and varying degrees of consciousness, but also because i started the blog as a way to "wake up" my life--infuse it with fresh energy, see it in a new light. that's the short of it! i hope to see you around the blogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pictures! love the skirt you've worn it with.

    http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. that skirt is DARLING, your grandmother has good taste. xo

    m.fay
    http://www.amateurcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are stunning. Some of them don't even look real they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is my greatest wish (all right, maybe not THE greatest but certainly close to the top of my bucket list) to stay at a B & B or a listed country manor. In particular, the Red House of Edith Nesbit where she wrote the stories about the Bastables and It, the Psammead.

    I love the picture of the turreted garden shed. I'd love to live in a cottage just like that. Sigh. I was born and live in one of the biggest cities in the world but I yearn for the country.

    A from A + B in the Sea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely flowers! And that panda wood carving is so cute! :)


    ♥ Teresa ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these pictures...that place looks amazing! love all of the flower pictures too, so gorgeous :]

    ReplyDelete