Wednesday 18 November 2009

Beginnings

Hello and welcome to my brand new blog, The Dandelion Girl. Firstly I will introduce myself. My name is Rebecca and I love nothing more than foraging for vintage treasures or losing myself in a good book. I decided to start this blog so I could share some of my vintage adventures with people who might understand why I get so excited over a beautiful 1960's dress or the perfectly distressed pair of leather boots.

For this first post I thought I might explain the title of the blog. The dandelion girl is the title of a short story by Robert.F.Young, first published in 1961. I saw the title and just liked it, before I knew the story. Although I've never been a fan of science fiction, it's actually quite a sweet little story. It is set in the future and is about a middle aged man called Mark, alone on holiday while his wife works, who meets a girl called Julie four times on a hill - I won't give away the rest. The most famous line (repeated six times throughout) from the story is -

'Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you' .




It is also mentioned what Julie wears on each occasion her and Mark meet.
On the first day she wears a white dress that reminds Mark of 'cotton-candy, sea foam and clouds.' On the second day she wears a blue dress and on the third a yellow dress.






For the full text of the story please look here.
I hope you've enjoyed my first post, I will try to update this blog every couple of days with my vintage finds and other inspirations. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment